Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Listening of late....

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    So, been listening to the system lately, it's been about a year since I got into it. The 3184 subs and the new CD player have got me hooked again.

    Gads...these subs just add the last element to making this setup rock like live. Realized that my non excitement was because my CD player was dying a slow laser death.

    Interesting, my old DAC (Phillips DAC 1000 modded via the Audio Amatuer series) is pretty dang good. Mellow.....and it uses the orig Phillips chip set. The new player is the latest Sigma Delta Burr Brown DAC....and although it separates things better, and has better highs....still ain't perfect. But it's dang nice.

    Funny...old CD's...classic rock....like the Doors, Little Feat etc are especially good. One of those things that will make me revisit my whole collection in time.

    But dang....those subs...awesome.

    So if you get a chance....and can afford the shipping....these things kick A$$!

    BTW....the 19's, set up right, toed in, stock crossovers tweaked well, image live stuff like you are there. Not perfect, but you can easily listen around the imperfections.

    Ron

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ April 23, 2008 01:39 AM: Message edited by: RonSS ]</font>

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    [QUOTE]
    Didn't mean to quote my own post....

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ April 23, 2008 01:39 AM: Message edited by: RonSS ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by RonSS:
    ...Funny...old CD's...Little Feat etc are especially good. One of those things that will make me revisit my whole collection in time.
    ...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Start at "Sailing Shoes", and don't quit (at least) till "Hoy Hoy". Feat Rule!

    I'll bet Sam Clayton's kicks can really move your 3184s!

    Fred Tackett lives a couple towns over, and started hosting the boys for occasional small gigs in the old city auditorium (methinks it's just an excuse for a party). I caught 'em once last winter, aside from getting a little grey and weathered, (aren't we all?), they've still got it. Sure do miss the Fat Man though, RIP.

    Feat20fall2007

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ April 23, 2008 03:06 AM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    A couple photos of the setup:

    Sub6

    forums

    That fat man was in the bathtub with the blues!
    Waiting for Culumbus...what a great live album. Tower of Power horns!

    Ron

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Ron, Glad to see things are going well. Pics are great.
    Can't wait till you get your 9846's up and running.
    I want to know how they compare to the 19's.
    I haven't had any time for hobby activities lately but I managed to pick up
    a cool toy for my basement Bar Room.
    Its a 1953 Utah 15" Field Coil Woofer. (their is an Altec connection to Utah.)
    It sounds real nice but the best part is the cabinet. It works real good.

    http://webpages.charter.net/artj/sebrgh100g.JPG

    Hi Bfish and all the regulars. I usually look in here late nights before bed and I'm
    too tired to post. Some threads I'm glad I stayed out of, but always good to see y'all.

    Art forums

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Way cool juke Art! forums

    6V6 amp?

    Good to hear from you. Your self control proves what I already knew, you're better than the average bear! forums

    Ron keeps saying he has too many Altecs, but all his pictures keep revealing lots of open floor space. I had to go vertical in my little rent house long ago. forums

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ron you did a nice clean job removing the vanes on your 811's. Is there any sonic improvement?


    Russ

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    Ron you did a nice clean job removing the vanes on your 811's. Is there any sonic improvement?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">................ what he said. forums

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Art J.:
    Hey Ron, Glad to see things are going well. Pics are great.
    Can't wait till you get your 9846's up and running.
    I want to know how they compare to the 19's.
    I haven't had any time for hobby activities lately but I managed to pick up
    a cool toy for my basement Bar Room.
    Its a 1953 Utah 15" Field Coil Woofer. (their is an Altec connection to Utah.)
    It sounds real nice but the best part is the cabinet. It works real good.

    Art forums
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey ART,
    I haven't worked on the 9846's for a while. Sanding and bondo just trashed my basement. Ned to wait till it's nice outside and move them to the garage to finish.
    Love the Jukebox!
    Ron

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Russnohio:
    Ron you did a nice clean job removing the vanes on your 811's. Is there any sonic improvement?


    Russ
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Russ,
    I think it improves the image. At least makes it less sensitive to head movement.
    I figured the vanes were there to help disperse sound in a theatre....my room is just a bit smaller.
    Thanks!

    Bfish....the rest of the Altecs are scattered around the room..... I'll round it all up sometime and get a better photo!

    Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.